First Presbyterian Church
401 S. Harwood St. - 1911-12 (D)
The First Presbyterian Church of Dallas was founded in 1856 with 11 members and they met in private houses and in other commercial and government structures. In 1873, they erected their first building at Elm & Ervay Streets (later the site of the Wilson Building). The church grew, and in 1882, the first brick church building in Dallas was erected by the congregation at Main and Harwood Streets. Around the turn of the 20th Century, the church had again outgrown their facilities, so another move was made to their present location in 1912. The current building was designed by C.D. Hill and it was constructed by the Alex Watson Construction Company. The building was built on the curve of Harwood at Wood Streets and the corner on which it sits is an obtuse angle leading to a modified-Akron plan for the sanctuary. The sanctuary is semicircular in shape with curved seating. The most notable architectural features of the building are the central dome and the two entrance porticos, one on Harwood Street, and the other on Wood Street. All of the columns on both porticos are monolithic. They were shipped by rail to Dallas from Indiana. All of the stone on the building is Indiana Limestone. The Children's Medical Center of Dallas began in the basement of this building as the first free clinic for children in the Southwest.