400 N. Olive - 1958, 1980, 1998
This complex of three skyscrapers was originally designed by Welton Becket & Associates from Los Angeles for the Southland Life Corporation. It was one of the first mixed use projects in downtown. It was also only the second major development in the northeast end of downtown, now the hub of CBD develpment. The original two buildings, completed in 1958, consisted of the 42 story Southland Life Building (Center Tower - 550 feet) and the 38 story Sheraton Dallas Hotel (South Tower - 352 feet). For five years the building was the tallest in the city. In 1980, Welton Becket designed a third tower (North Tower- 448 feet) to the development that blended with the original structures. It was built on the north end of the site and is 31 stories tall. All three buildings are surrounded by a common base. All three buildings are rectangular slab structures that are solid on the ends and have curtain walls of glass and porcelain enamel panels on the long sides. Eventually, the development came on hard times with newer and more modern office buildings being constructed. In 1998, The Adam's Mark Hotel chain converted the entire facility into a hotel. They also constructed a parking garage and ballroom building on the block to the southwest. The hotel is the largest hotel in Dallas and Texas with 1,842 guest rooms and 230,000 square feet of meeting space. It is also located on a DART Light Rail stop.