1309 Main - 1925; addition 1931 (D)
The 20 story Davis Building was constructed as home to the Republic National Bank in 1925. With a Neo-Classical facade, the original building featured a four story base with a grand entrance at the center of the building and a four story top with a pedimented center window on the 17th & 18th floors. The 19th & 20th floors were set back on the east and west sides and then were crowned by a 4 story cupola on top of the building. The building was designed by Dallas architects C.D. Hill & Company and built by Inge Construction Company. By 1931, Republic Bank had grown so rapidly that another 20 story addition was constructed on the west side. This sympathetic addition matched the buildings facade on Main Street and also matched the detailing from the original. However, the addition gave the building an asymmetrical facade. With the addition, the structure became the largest office building in the City of Dallas, as the floor plate of the building was larger than the Magnolia Building. The addition was designed by Coburn & Fowler Architects (formerly C.D. Hill & Company). In 1954, Republic moved out of this building and into its new headquarters and the skyscraper was renamed the Davis Building. Over the last few years the building had been vacant; however, the building has been converted into a loft apartment complex. The ground floor areas are available for lease to restaurants and retail uses. The residential conversion was designed by Beeler, Guest, and Owens Architects of Dallas. The Davis Building actually has 21 floors of space that can be used under the residential layout (includes penthouse and base of cupola) and is 323 feet high, making it the 42nd tallest building in the City of Dallas.